August 30th, 2023
1. Start the Application Process with an IND appointment
The first office applicants for DAFT need to speak with will be the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND), who will be able to start the DAFT application process. They’ll provide the applicant with a Citizen Service Number (BSN) that will reference any dealings with the Dutch authorities. Current VISA laws allow Americans to travel to the Netherlands for a maximum of 90 days, but, once the DAFT application process has started, the IND has the power to extend this so applicants have plenty of time to take care of steps 2-4.
2. Gather your Documents
DAFT VISA applicants will need to have their administrative documents in order to avoid bumps in the road, and make the process as smooth as possible. The following documents will be essential for any successful DAFT application:
- US Passport: A US passport will prove American citizenship, the first requirement for DAFT eligibility.
- Business Plan/Proof of Investment: Applicants will need to prove their intention to invest in the Dutch economy with a business plan or a bank statement proving their investment.
- IND application form: Applicants should keep their application form available throughout the application process to ensure they can prove the validity of their temporary VISA.
- BSN number: The BSN number will prove the validity of all communication with Dutch Authorities. Don’t worry if it’s yet to be provided, applicants won’t receive it until their first meeting with the IND.
Once the above documents are together, it’s time to meet with the IND.
3. Meet with the IND
The application process for the DAFT begins in the first meeting with the IND. It’s here that the application form is submitted, the BSN number provided and the fee paid. This meeting has to be done in person with the IND.
4. Register the Business
There are a number of duties while the DAFT is being approved that are not directly linked to the DAFT, but essential for anyone starting a business in the Netherlands. Applicants will have to register their business with the Kamer van Koophandel (KVK) and pay the €65 fee for the Dutch PIN card. They’ll also need to open a Dutch bank account, and demonstrate their financial stability with proof that they have an income of at least €1,280 a month.
5. Get your DAFT VISA in the Netherlands in 2023
Once an applicant’s business is official, and they’ve had their application approved by the IND, they’re ready to receive their DAFT VISA. The VISA will give them Dutch residency for 2 years, with the option to extend it to 5 years once the 2 years are up. Permanent residency can be applied for after 5 years.