EU Blue cardHave Broadstreet inform you about the EU Blue Card and its requirements

In the Netherlands, there are multiple permits available to work and live here. The EU Blue Card is a work and residence permit for highly skilled migrants from outside the EU. The EU Blue Card does not replace the highly skilled migrant programme but exists next to it. The same applies for the ICT permit, known as the intra-company transfer.

Do you need help with filing your tax return?

Employee application requirements for the EU Blue Card

The employee must qualify for some general conditions, but must also meet the following conditions:

  • The employee must have an employment contract for a highly qualified job for at least 12 months to work for an employer in the Netherlands.
  • The employee must receive the wage requirement, which in 2017 is set at €5,160 gross per month (excluding 8% holiday allowance). 
  • The employee must have a diploma, showing that he/she has completer a higher education programme of at least 3 years. This degree must be equivalent to a Dutch bachelor or master’s degree.
    In case of a foreign higher education diploma, the IDW (Dutch office for Evaluation of Foreign Credentials) must evaluate the diploma. This evaluation must be attached to the diploma when applying for the EU Blue Card.

Employer requirements for the EU Blue Card

As opposed to the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme, the company does not need to be a recognised sponsor with the IND. Also, for both the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme and the EU Blue Card, there are no requirements about the employee’s type of job in the Netherlands.

Benefits of the EU Blue Card for the employee

Because of the many similarities with the highly skilled migrant programme, why choose the EU Blue Card? There are several benefits to having a EU Blue Card, which lie mostly in the EU mobility rights which other permits do not offer.

How can we help you?

Robert Bosma
Tax Advisor

Trusted Partners
Why Broadstreet?
  • 25 years of experience
  • Personal advice
  • One stop service
  • Transparent costs
  • Reports in English

Looking for an international tax specialist?